I am unable to get any OS to boot on a DL160 G5 Storage Server. I've tried just about everything I can think of.
Here is a quick rundown:
- Reset BIOS to defaults
- Changed SATA/IDE mode to all possible combinations
- Changed array accelerator battery (there was a message about this before hand)
- Tested RAM with memtest
- Recreated logical RAID volumes
- Checked for BIOS update (appears to be correct version 012)
- Tried Server 2003, Server 2003 R2, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2, Ubunto 10.4, HP SmartStart CD, dumped an image from an identical machine (none of which worked).
- Downloaded and used the RAID Array Drivers (It's an E200) during the install
It gets as far as Setup is Loading Windows in 2003 and hangs, in 2008 it gets to the Windows logo and then hangs, in Ubuntu it sometimes gets to the screen to start installing but then hangs (or does not even get to that point).
I am leaning towards a hardware issue but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what else I could try. This machine needs to be Windows 2003 R2 so I was just trying the others to test.