I created an ASP.net MVC developed web application and I am trying to set up IIS.
The Error: Http error 500.19, error code 0x80070005, Cannot read configuration file due to insufficient permissions, config file: C:\inetpub\wwwroot\BudgetManagerMain\BudgetManager\web.config
If I set the AppPool to use 'administrator' i have no problems and can access the site just fine. If i set to NETWORK SERVICE (or anything else including self-created admin or non-admin user accounts), i get the above error.
Things I have tried:
- identity for Application pool named 'test' is 'NetworkService'
- Set full access privs for wwwroot and all children files/folders
- verified effective permissions and NETWORK SERVICE has full access.
- Authentication on my site is set for anonymous and running under Application Pool Identity
- I do not have any physical path credentials set on the website
- confirmed website is set to run under the application pool named 'test'
using Process Monitor, here is a summary of what i found on the ACCESS DENIED event
- Class: File System
- Operation: CreateFile
- Result: Access Denied
- Path: ..\web.config
- Desired Access: Generic Read
- Disposition: Open
- Options: Sybnchronous IO Non-Alert, Non-Directory file
- Attributes: N
- ShareMode: Read
- AllocaitonSize: n/a
...lots of stuff that seems irrelevant
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE