I run a web site that is hosted on an Apple Xserve running Mac OS X Server 10.6. Today, I replaced an expired SSL certificate with a newly acquired certificate. I also deleted the old certificate. I made these changes with the Server Admin tool.
The certificate appears valid—the software says so, and displays all the correct information. It also claims that the web service is running. However, since I made that one change, my server refuses to serve web pages. Any attempt to load a page is immediately refused. Other services, such as Apple Remote Desktop, SSH, AFP, etc. all work fine, it's just Apache that refuses connections.
I've restarted the server, and also restarted Apache, using both Server Admin and apachectl. The latter tool also believe Apache to be running, but I can't connect to it.
I've tried comparing my /etc/apache2 folder with a copy from backup, but as suspected, all of the changes relate to SSL certificates and appear innocuous to me. I've hit a brick wall on this; nothing appears to be wrong, Google returns no hits, and yet my site is broken. My hope is that one of you fine people who knows more about this than I will be able to at least give me a hint at what might be wrong.
Edit: Last couple lines in the error log:
[Mon Sep 13 13:30:11 2010] [warn] [client 22.214.171.124] mod_include: Options +Includes (or IncludesNoExec) wasn't set, INCLUDES filter removed [Mon Sep 13 13:31:20 2010] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down