I know there has already been a question that has been posted here about migrating shared hosting accounts, but wanted to get a second opinion on my plan to move hosting providers. My business is moving our shared hosting account (hosting and email) to a new provider, and would like to have minimal downtime. Here is our current plan:
- Create a backup of our old site
- Upload our site to the new host
- Set up duplicate email accounts with our new host
- Change the name server records on our domain to point to our new host
- Leave our old site up long enough for DNS records to propagate completely.
I'm hoping this should result in little downtime for both website and email. Because of the volume of high-importance emails our company receives on a daily basis downtime is very expensive and not tolerated.