Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Can you help me with my software licensing question?

Can I use the SQL 2008 Web Edition for internal web sites (intranet), used only internally from my company, and not over the Internet?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Scott Pack, sysadmin1138 Feb 11 '12 at 2:58

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

I don't think you can. From:

The software may be used only to support public and Internet accessible

* Web pages
* Web sites
* Web applications
* Web services

(The bold emphasis is mine)

share|improve this answer

Yes you can. Depending on the number of users you have you'll have to decide on licensing between server + CALs or CPU licenses. As long as you are correctly licensed you can use any edition (except for Developer) for anything that you want.

share|improve this answer