- One or more available Dell PowerEdge 2950 servers
- The desire to deploy ZFS iSCSI storage using Nexenta or Solaris
- ZFS uses software RAID
- Dell's PERC 5 RAID controllers do not support JBOD
- Presenting single-disk RAID 0 arrays in lieu of JBOD is not desirable
- I would like to replace the PERC with a SAS controller that is supported by Solaris and/or Nexenta. Do you have any personal recommendations?
- Would this be compatible with the existing backplane?
- What about external (MD1000) enclosures?
- Have you ever actually tried to do this with a Dell server? Do you have any other thoughts, recommendations, or bits of wisdom from personal experience?