Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm hosting a few clients' websites on a Media Temple VPS, but I'm thinking of moving to another provider. When I originally set up their sites I had each client point their domain names to MT's nameservers. So now, if I switch, I'll have to contact them and get them to point their domains somewhere else.

My question is whether I could have avoided this by setting up a CNAME record for one of my domains (like and and pointed those to MT's name servers. So that if I decided to switch I could just make a change on my end and not have to bother them? Will something like that work? Or is there another way?

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Yes, this is possible but would require to lookup the ip of the CNAME record, in some cases you can directly use an A record which points to the correct ip.

share|improve this answer
Great. Let me see if I understand this. All I have to do is lookup the ip of media temple's nameservers, then create an A record for and point it to that ip. Then when I need to change it, I simply change the ip on that A record to the ip of the new nameserver? – owise1 Oct 19 '10 at 15:30
yes, that is correct. – Mark Oct 20 '10 at 19:11

That is not a full solution as you still need the registrar to setup the actual glue records for the domain

share|improve this answer
I'm not sure what a glue record is. Is the process I described above correct? Or am I missing something. Thanks. – owise1 Oct 19 '10 at 15:31
Even if you had used CNAME's you still need to change the records in the registry if you change the name servers ip addresses. – topdog Oct 19 '10 at 16:02

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.