Going to completely rephrase this question since it's still an outstanding production issue several months later.
I have a FreeNAS 0.7.2 box, based on FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE-p1, running ZFS with 4x1TB SATA drives in RAIDz1.
I appear to have lost 1TB of usable space after creating and deleting a 1TB sparse file. This happened months ago.
This table lays out the situation as it stands.
command actual expected ok/not ok du -c 1.47TB used 1.47TB used ok zfs list used 2.48TB used 1.47TB not ok avail 206GB avail 1.2TB not ok zpool list size 3.64TB size 3.64TB ok used 3.31TB used 1.95TB not ok avail 334GB avail 1.69TB not ok Windows right Disk size 2.67TB Disk size 2.67TB ok click disk, Used 2.47TB Used 1.47 not ok properties free 206GB free 1.2TB not ok Windows select total file size total file size all files, 1.48TB 1.48TB ok right click, properties
- No snapshots anywhere in the pool
- Compression is off
- De-dupe is off
- ZFS pool verion is 13
- ZFS FS version is 3
- Using the "embedded" version of FreeNAS
- File was created with dd using /dev/zero as input, deleted using rm, all as root
- File has definitely been deleted
- Windows can see the folder via SMB
- Windows version is 7
- Not sure how to determine whether the bug suggested by an answerer below has been resolved in the ZFS pool and FS versions in the FreeBSD I am using
Ask away any questions you like, I can get shell on the box from anywhere.
Really appreciate any advice or thoughts. Tom