I need to know what is the best way to assign windows server roles and duties among servers. Right now I've got four servers:
- OldServer1: Xeon 3.4GHz, 4GB, 3x146GB SCSI, Windows Server 2003 R2
- OldServer2: Xeon 3.2GHz, 2GB, 72GB SCSI, Windows Server 2003 R2
- NewServer1: Xeon E5504, 4GB RAM, 2x146GB SFF-SAS, Windows Server 2008 Standard
- NewServer2: Xeon X3323, 4 GB, 2x146GB SFF-SAS, Windows Server 2008 Standard
Currently OldServer1 is holding all responsibilities, it's the main active directory running SQL2005, CRM software and the file and print service as well as DNS and DHCP. It's running out of space because of SQL daily back up jobs.
The other server:
- OldServer2 is running SQL2000 and an old CRM system.
- NewServer2 is running Citrix XenApp which is pretty much lightweight.
- NewServer1 is brand new.
Could you please tell me what is the best practice in relocating and setting windows responsibilities?