Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Can you help me with my software licensing question?


Ms site for Windows Web Server 2008 R2 states that it's only licensed to server internet-facing web apps.

What does that mean for in-house applications? That I am allowed to host B2B/C site on those, but not my internal web based ERP, for example?


share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by RobM, Iain, Ben Pilbrow, Antoine Benkemoun, Chris S Dec 23 '10 at 16:04

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

The Internet is everywhere, so no matter where you put the server, it's technically "facing the Internet," and your in-house clients just happen to be in the way. – Ward Oct 28 '10 at 8:37
using this kind of wordplay might sound good but it does not change the fact that you would not be covered for a server setup solely for internal use – JamesRyan Oct 28 '10 at 11:40
I forgot to include the :) at the end of my comment. – Ward Oct 28 '10 at 14:47
What did Microsoft say when you asked them? – John Gardeniers Nov 3 '10 at 4:14

What does that mean for in-house applications?

It means they are not covered by a web license. This is not a disadvantage, though. Inhouse normal licensing applies, and normally you don't need CALs because people already have them.

The whole main problem with web is to avoid the "I need a lot of CALs for visitors from the internet" thing. It is a cheap small server which vocers the special issues of the internet (high number of visitors). MS standard licensing breaks apart there financially AND practically.

Internally, just don't use web. Use / reuse a standard (chance is some are lying around).

share|improve this answer

Exactly. Your application has to be internet facing. THat does not mean everyone can have access - so putting it out, SSL, password - is totally ok. But it has to be accessible (HTTP request) from the internet.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.