Our current SharePoint WFE VM is on its last leg, we can't RDP into it or connect to it in any way. We're looking at moving our intranet which lives on this WFEs onto a new SharePoint farm.
I'm trying to prove out whether or not this will work, here are the steps I've followed:
- Create a new SharePoint farm (new SharePoint WFE VM connecting to a new SQL Server)
- Restore a backup of our content database onto the new SQL Server
- Create a web application on the new SharePoint farm
- Create a new site collection (Collaboration Portal) on the new SharePoint farm
- In Central Administration, select the web application, go to Content Databases, and set the web application's content database status to offline
- Use stsadm to associate the database we copied over to the web
stsadm -o addcontentdb -url [http://server:port] -databasename [database name] -databaseserver [database server]
The operation succeeds, however when I bring up my site I get the following error:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.0 Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 14:14:43 GMT Connection: close
I don't expect this to work 100% right out of the gate, but I'm just looking for some indication that my content database is truly attached to the new web application.
Would appreciate any feedback or hearing about peoples' experience in moving sites around farms.