In an attempt to reduce the complexity of a solution, I've been asked to convert a two node Oracle 10g RAC production database to single instance. The database is running on RHEL5 with ASM on SAN.
I imagine at least the following steps will be required:
- Remove the instances from cluster ready services
- Restrict the second node's access to shared storage
- Remove redo logs for second instance
- Drop undo tablespace for second instance
- Remove references to second instance from the pfile/spfile
- Relink the Oracle binaries, refer to post from Gaius
Any other considerations? Might it be better to create a single node physical standby?
Does anyone know of a related whitepaper or metalink note?