I've setup a new Server 2008 box with a new domain. I've done all my testing with a Windows 7 laptop which is being deployed with the network. It joined the domain fine, and worked as expected.
Now for the deploy, I've got to join a couple of XP boxes to the domain, but when joining, they come up with
A domain controller for the domain could not be contacted, details below:
DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain acron.local:
The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.acron.local
The following domain controllers were identified by the query:
Common causes of this error include:
Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.
Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running
All those records and correct and are resolving correctly from the XP clients, with pings and lookups.
The Win 7 laptop is still working fine, I've even removed and rejoined it to the domain.