Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

i was moving my partitions here and there and i end up deleting my swap partition and currently i have 4 partitions and when i try to format ( note : the unallocated part ) some unallocated space gparted keeps saying :

 " If you want more partitions you should first create an extended partition. Such a partition can contain other partitions. Because an extended partition is also a primary partition it might be necessary to remove a primary partition first "  

but even if i want to do that i can't move the other partitions to an extended partitions because they already contain some data .... any solution ??? help needed ...

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

Back up your fourth partition and convert it into an extended partition.

share|improve this answer
i don't have enough or additional storage on the machine and off the machine for back up .. , i mean is there an option just to change one of the 4 partitions to an extended partition ,and can you explain why i can't create additional primary partition ...@Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams thank you ...... – jspeshu Nov 11 '10 at 15:00
The MS-DOS partition table only has room for 4 partitions. – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Nov 11 '10 at 15:03
then how can i change the partition table to some other supporting table format srry if i botherd you @Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams – jspeshu Nov 11 '10 at 15:06
You need to back up all the data on the disk and reformat it. – Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams Nov 11 '10 at 15:06

The reason why you can only add four primary partitions has to do with the master boot record of the disk. Read and

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.