Small businesses these days are often pretty reliant on email but don't have the ressources to host a safe and secure service themselves. I am looking for an email provider for a SMB customer:
- I'm looking for an email-only service, no bells and whistles.
- The provider for this customer must be an EU business because of the stricter data protection laws around here. Here in Austria would be best, but all of the EU will be acceptable.
Otherwise, hearing of good providers from other areas is also interesting - but please say that they don't apply in this case in the answer about them.
- Main priority is reliability:
- failover location(s)
- sane hosting environment
- reliable backups, if possible with a documented and externally audited process
- Next is security:
- good data protection history
- valid certificates (should not need saying, but reality...)
- independent auditing would be great here, too
- They should host a set of MXs and an outgoing relay, do SPAM filtering and allow IMAPS access.
- A painless price point is always a good thing.
If I have forgotten anything you would consider important for outsourced email hosting for SMBs, please say so as well!