I'm looking for an alternative way to the bare
tar command to tar/list/untar files on a Linux host over SSH, for using on some shared hosting accounts. Naturally no one has X-Windows or Midnight Commander available.
It could be;
- a server side cli application / frontend which is likely already installed or can be used with no modification on the system
- a client side, Windows based SSH file manager with archiving capability (use tar remotely)
- a similar file manager which can use scripts and pass selected file names to configured scripts by a context menu or something, so I could expand it with tar scripts.
And the limitations are;
- CLI over SSH, no X-Windows
- no administrative rights
- MC is not installed
- Windows client (for any SSH client based solution)
My Linux knowledge is a little dusty now, so I may be missing a useful, well-known alternative =)
(I currently use
tar, but an interface could make it better and faster to use. Also some hosts have web based file managers with the archiving capability)