I set up munin to run as root for testing, my relevant config is as so:
[localhost] address 127.0.0.1 use_node_name yes
I tried fqnd.mysite.com (but it couldn't connect), localhost.localdomain too which runs but I'll explain in a sec
allow ^127\.0\.0\.1$ # Which address to bind to; host 127.0.0.1 host_name localhost port 4949
Now it all works fine if I type
munin-run cpu and it lists myspecs, but when I telnet to localhost:4949 a session will be like this:
# munin node at localhost list cpu df df_inode entropy exim_mailstats forks fw_conntrack fw_forwarded_local fw_packets http_loadtime if_err_eth0 if_eth0 interrupts iostat iostat_ios irqstats load memory munin_stats nfs4_client nfsd nfsd4 ntp_kernel_err ntp_kernel_pll_freq ntp_kernel_pll_off ntp_offset open_files open_inodes postfix_mailqueue postfix_mailvolume proc_pri processes swap threads uptime users vmstat fetch df . fetch cpu .
As you see plugins are listed! But for some reason it replies with a '.', I am running this under root so I don't think it is a permission problem. Any clues will get me off my computer at 4:32AM!