I have Solr running on a large Amazon EC2 Ubuntu instance. There are a number of other Rails services running on this EC2 instance too. Today, Solr choked and had to be restarted. Here is some more information:
- Number of documents: + 5 million
- Throughput: + 100 rpm
- Avg. Response time: 60 ms (and getting slower as we add more documents)
- Slowest Response time: 2-3 seconds (this did not happen until recently - perhaps due to too Solr not coping with the amount of data)
- Number of Solr Instances running: 1
- On dedicated server: NO - it's shared with some other Rails services that we are running too.
My question is this: If I move Solr to a dedicated large Amazon instance and configure everything just perfectly, what performance can I then expect in terms of max. throughput and max number of indexed documents?
Thanks in advance