Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top
  • windows server for each server
  • windows desktop for each desktop
  • office for each desktop
  • sql server for each server
  • cals for exchange, sql, windows network, remote desktop

what else?

share|improve this question

closed as too localized by RobM, Scott Pack, GregD, Ben Pilbrow, Zypher Dec 22 '10 at 14:40

This question is unlikely to help any future visitors; it is only relevant to a small geographic area, a specific moment in time, or an extraordinarily narrow situation that is not generally applicable to the worldwide audience of the internet. For help making this question more broadly applicable, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Speak to a local Microsoft licensing specialists, they can advise you on the best way to purchase software based on your numbers and specific requirements and the current sales "rules" and deals available in your area, far better than a random collection of people on the Internet can. – RobM Dec 22 '10 at 12:43
@Robert He better learn a little about licensing before contacting these guys, because there are some rules about what do you need to license that are not always explained by them. for example if you have a standby (never accessed) SQL server of the same license type and equal or less processor number you won't need to pay the SQL license for this guy as it is a standby server, however the windows license will have to be paid. – Gabriel Guimarães Dec 22 '10 at 12:59
@Gabriel - yes, but some of those rules can change depending on what licensing deal you have... Educational select and campus licences are very different from even microsoft's volume licence programs for business. – RobM Dec 22 '10 at 13:01
@Robert - That's exactly why he needs to study before calling theses guys maybe he can plan and make it cheaper. – Gabriel Guimarães Dec 22 '10 at 13:06
@gabriel - I absolutely agree, but given the lack of specifics here and the high "localisation" of the question, I don't think its a problem that's suitable for SF. – RobM Dec 22 '10 at 13:16

You don't need a 'license' for remote desktop. It's built in. If you want to setup an application server that the windows desktops can connect to, you'll need Terminal Server CALs.

Depending on the size of your network, you should investigate the Small Business Server line of products, as there is a version which bundles 2 Server licenses, SQL Server, Exchange Server (and other server products like Sharepoint and IIS) together in 1 license, and the respective Client Access Licenses are also bundled. Very cost effective for smaller (sub 50-75 people) networks.

In addition, you should be clear on whether you need per device or per user licensing, as this will affect what the Microsoft Licensing specialist might recommend.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.