This will be the first domain i've ever registered. So i'm at a loss what to look for. I definitely don't want to go with GoDaddy.
Here are my requirements:
- Must have unlimited email forwards for my domain
- Easy to transfer away if i choose.
- Must not be one of those shady registrars that will try to auction your domain at the end.
- Ability to create sub domains
- Domain Registration is Private
- I would like a domain registrar that would let me use my dynamic ip of my ISP (Cable) if i want to. So hopefully they would have some type program that would detect IP changes and update accordingly
So i've looked at a variety of registrars so far. The three left were really NameCheap, DreamHost, & DomainMonster.
I have heard good things about DreamHost but i think its off the list because they don't give you any information about the features you get when you register your domain with them. They have a "Whats included" button the page but it mainly list the features with hosting not registration.
DomainMonster looks pretty cool but i don't see anything about subdomains. Also i would assume they don't have a system for dynamic ip address updating. So you would have to constantly check that your ip of your ISP has changed or not and update it manually.
NameCheap also looks nice. There are two things i really like about them. Right on their feature page they list "Free Dynamic DNS With Client" which is pretty cool. They also have a free SSL certificate for the first year. Haven't messed a lot with certificates but this would definitely be something i would use. Only minus i can see is you only get free private whois for the first year. After that its $2.99 which isn't that big of a deal.
I'm leaning towards NameCheap now. Is this a good choice. Is there anything else i should be looking at?