Since about approx. 2 month, I do have the following issue with my approx. 1 year old development machine (Windows 7, 64 bit):
When doing network intensive operations, like e.g. executing some SQL script on a remote SQL server to select or update 1000 of records, the network card stops working.
I.e. suddenly, No network connection is present anymore. No internet, no local connection, simply nothing.
The only resolution so far I found is to disable my network card and then simply enable it back, like in the following screenshots:
1.) Click "Deactivate"
2.) Click "Activate"
(German screenshots only, sorry)
Now this is an acceptable solution to work around this issue, but I would love to have this fixed, since it suddenly stops me from working when I'm connected remotely via VPN/RDP on my machine (Win7 64bit).
So my question is:
Could you imagine a possible cause for this issue and give some hints how to hunt/resolve it?
I could imagine that this is a driver issue, a hardware issue or even some kind of background software issue like a software firewall or a virus scanner.
Since I still was unable to find the reason, I did some research and put together a simple script to automatically disable and re-enable the network interface card (NIC):
@REM ============================================= @REM Restarts the NIC if a ping is unsucessful. @REM @REM See http://bit.ly/disable-enable-nic-batch @REM @REM To find out NIC number, use "wmic nic get name, index" @REM once and change it. In this file below, it is "7". @REM @REM Written 2011-01-23 by Uwe Keim. @REM ============================================= @cls ping www.google.com | find "Bytes=" if errorlevel 1 goto :mustrestart @echo ---NOT RESTARTING NIC. goto :eof :mustrestart @echo ---RESTARTING NIC. wmic path win32_networkadapter where index=7 call disable wmic path win32_networkadapter where index=7 call enable :eof
I let Windows Task Scheduler call this script every 10 minutes and have a temporary workaround for my “broken” NIC.
The error persisted even after completely installing a fresh Windows.
I then bought a new network interface card (the original was an on-board "card") and the error went away ever since.