I've set up a Fedora 10 server and I want to print to an attached printer from three Windows Vista and two XP workstations.
After much manual reading I got this situation:
- All workstations can print
- One workstation can print from all but one application.
The offender is IE7 (and IE8) from a Vista Business workstation. Everytime a print job is started from this application on that specific workstation I get an "access denied" error in the CUPS logs. Printing from IE from other workstations works. (WTF?!)
My current workaround is to first print to a PDF file and then print this PDF from Adobe Reader from the same workstation.
A secondary problem is that I don't have much experience with Fedora/Linux, so this might be a noob question. Sorry if that's the case.
- What could be the problem?
- "Access denied" to what? The log doesn't give any more information on which resource the access has been denied. What are the usual suspects?
- What's the best way to debug such situations?
I'm not using Samba for printing, I just could not get it working. I'm using CUPS with no authentication, i.e. everyone can print.
On the workstations I've added the printers as "internet printer", providing this URL
EDIT: I updated to Fedora 11 and the problem still exists...
EDIT 2: Some more information:
- I updated to Fedora 12 and the problem still exists
- Printing from Adobe Reader as an Internet Explorer plugin results in the same problem, so it seems the problem is somewhere with the process itself.