SQL Server Remote Connections
I am at my wits end with trying to access a remote SQL Server 2008 R2 Express instance. Here are the following that I have tried.
1) I enabled remote connections in the instance properties.
2) I enabled sql server and windows authentication mode and created an account to log in using sql server authentication.
3) I started the SQL Server Browser service
4) I forwarded ports 1433 and 1434 on the router to the IP address of the machine hosting SQL Server.
5) I turned off firewalls on both the Machine running the instance and the router.
6) http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ I used this to check whether or not both ports were open and it says that they are closed. I have the SQL Server Express instance running and the browser running. I have configured it to allow remote connections yet, it tells me they are both closed. I'm pretty confused at this stage.
On the client Machine I am trying to connect using the following format machineip\SQLEXPRESS with SQL Server Management Studio Express.
Thanks in advance