Let us say I'm using a packaged-based approach of imaging for the Mac, and have a freshly imaged machine (or better, several different types of machines) ready to test. How do I perform automated testing?
I am primarily concerned with images for client machines. The testing I have in mind is along these lines:
- Run all the applications that are installed (in /Applicaions), one at a time. Does anything crash? Do applications ask for license codes (and is this expected or not)?
- Even better would be to test loading and saving files in different applications.
- Better still would be to do the above, when logged in under a network account. [A number of programs operate funny for a network user.]
- If possible, it would be nice to know how responsive an application is (but that may be beyond the scope of what could be reasonably tested).
Perhaps more fundamentally:
- Does the system even boot up?
- Does it connect to our network?
- It would also be nice to check that expected services (ARD, SSH) are up and running.
- Is the required software installed?
- Is the hard drive functional?