Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking for a network tester that is able to measure the speed of one network cable (up to 1000 MBit).

I wasn't able to find any thing useful via google because most of the network tester are either made for just testing the connection of each wire or for tests within an existing network. I need one that is just having two female RJ45 connector to connect both ends of one network cable to it, then sends some data from one end to the other and indicates if the speed is at 1000 MBit, 100 MBit or below.

share|improve this question
I think you may be attacking your problem from the wrong angle. Can you provide more info on what your trying to achieve? There are many more variables to consider than the network cable when talking about speed from node to node. – dan.k Jan 18 '11 at 11:23
Also, Cat6 and Cat5e don't actually peak at 1000MBit / 100Mbit, and its not a good sole indication of expected real world throughput, either (as there is a lot of other variables as previously mentioned). – Sirex Jan 18 '11 at 12:16

Most of the frequency-response testers I have seen is a primary unit, with a daughter unit on the other end, that way they're usable both for "test single cable" and "test longer cable run". If "two ports, single unit" is a definite must-have, I certainly have not seen one.

share|improve this answer
No, I don't care if the device does have two parts. – Martin Jan 23 '11 at 22:38
@Martin: In that case, I suspect Fluke have one or more suitable devices in the USD 1000+ cost range – Vatine Jan 24 '11 at 12:48

You can check out Fluke Networks, but for most just knowing the cable being used (Cat6, Cat5e), distance traveled, and having the switches that support are all you need.

Maybe you can elaborate on your needs?

share|improve this answer
Fluke CableIQ would be my choice for this task. – John Gardeniers Jan 19 '11 at 0:54
I second the cableIQ units we have them as a standard part of our tool kits. Fluke Networks gear is rock solid stuff. – Liam Jan 19 '11 at 4:43

Consider iperf?

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.