We are looking for ways in which to further enhance our documentation and our ability to allow easy access to the information as well as editing the information. With these ideas in mind, we created an internal wiki based upon the MediaWiki platform for our Tier 1 (Help Desk). This has been a huge success for the Help Desk and they use this extensively for their daily operations. Now, we are looking at ways in which to document things for our Tier 2 (Systems Administrators). We need to have the information for Tier 2 separate from the information for Tier 1 due to the sensitivity of the information and the fact that it will contain steps for how we build our servers, etc.
I am looking for ideas and suggestions in relation to how we can accomplish the following aims:
- Centralized documentation based upon the MediaWiki platform
- Separated content between Tier 1 and Tier 2
- We like the look and feel that we have for Tier 1 and that could be used for Tier 2
- Can this be ran on the same server if we were to run two different installations of MediaWiki? Is this even a good idea to run multiple installations of MediaWiki on the same machine?
- Support for FQDN and SSL certificates for each documentation installation
- Is there a way to slice or keep separate part of the Tier 1 MediaWiki installation based upon user or group membership?
Thank you in advance and I look forward to your ideas and suggestions.