I have a managed semi-dedicated server running Centos and a LAMP setup with PHP 5.2.9. I've noticed over the past couple of months that HTTP requests are taking much longer and page loading speeds across a number of sites have slowed down considerably. There doesn't appear to be any significant load on the server and I've checked this with the sysadmin support, who say there isn't any obvious issue. However, there has been a definite deterioration of performance, consistently, for at least two months now - so I really need to try and figure out what's going on and am hoping someone might be able to suggest possible causes. The server is at around 80% of its disk usage capacity, so maybe that could be impacting on things.
Any help or pointers greatly appreciated!
EDIT: I have eAccelerator enabled, Apache KeepAlives enabled, mysql config as below. I should also point out that the bulk of the loading time for web pages is making the connection to the server, not downloading the page content.
[mysqld] max_connections = 400 key_buffer = 16M myisam_sort_buffer_size = 32M join_buffer_size = 1M read_buffer_size = 1M sort_buffer_size = 2M table_cache = 1024 thread_cache_size = 286 interactive_timeout = 25 wait_timeout = 1000 connect_timeout = 10 max_allowed_packet = 16M max_connect_errors = 10 query_cache_limit = 1M query_cache_size = 16M query_cache_type = 1 tmp_table_size = 16M #skip-innodb [mysqld_safe] open_files_limit = 8192 [mysqldump] quick max_allowed_packet = 16M [myisamchk] key_buffer = 32M sort_buffer = 32M read_buffer = 16M write_buffer = 16M