I have this issue, I have a W2K8 Server in which I'd like to establish a VPN Connection for a small group of Users (like 7 or 8).
Heres some information about the server obtained by using
cmd > ipconfig /all this is dummy info by the way but I'll substitute back to make the modifications:
- Server name: MyServer
- Share Name: \\MyServer\TheShare *
- Host name: HST-SVR-08
- Node Type: Hybrid
- IP Routing enabled: yes
- WINS Proxy: no
- IPv4 Address(Public as shown in whatsmyip): 18.104.22.168
- Default gateway: 22.214.171.124 (its different from the IP by one numbers in the last octet)
- DHCP Enabled: no
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.253
- DNS Servers: 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52 (yes they only differ in the last number also)
- NetBios over Tcpip: enabled
I have done the following:
On the Server
- Created a group called
Remoteand added the users to it.
- Created a
shareand granted read/write permissions to the group
- In Control Panel > Network Connections > File > New Incomming Connection a new incoming connection with the appropriate users and in the networking tab I have IPv4, QoS and File and Printer Sharing checked (IPv6 is disabled.).
- In Server Manager > Configuration > Firewall with Advanced Settings both for inbound and outbound I enabled the rules for File and printer sharing(SMB-In/Out), as well as Routing and Remote Access (GRE-In/Out)(L2TP-In/Out)(PPTP-In/Out).
On the Client
- Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Connect to a workplace > Use My internet connection (VPN) In the Address field: \\< server-IPv4 >\TheShare, in the Destination name field: VPN Test then on the next screen I entered the appropriate credentials for a user and left the domain field blank.
And got this message:
Windows cannot find the hostname "\\TheShare" using DNS the domain name server may be down.
- Tried also mapping a drive to it Computer > Map network drive and entered the same in address field: \\TheShare and got this message:
"< server-IPv4 >" is not setup to establish a connection on port file and printer sharing(SMB) with this computer.
Which is weird because I opened the ports on the windows firewall.
This only happens when connection over the internet as when I try a VPN Connection in the LAN it works flawlesly I can also map a drive in the LAN.
Any Help is really appreciated.