We have subdomain entries in our local DNS server which we use for web development. The IP's they point to our bound to web sites.
FarmA.webstaging = 10.1.10.10
FarmB.webstaging = 10.1.10.11
The domain name entries have been setup for many years now and work fine with XP and Server 2003 systems.
Now that we are rolling Windows 7 into our environment we are having issues with these entries. You cannot browse or ping the names, but if I use nslookup I do receive the correct IP address.
When you ping the FQDN (e.g. FarmA.webstaging.ourdomain.com) the name resolves as expected. Checking the DHCP information I received I have a primary DNS Suffix of ourdomain.com and ourdomain.com is listed in DNS suffix search list. So I should not need to include the domain name.
If I add entries into the hosts file, I am able to browse and ping the name, it resolves correctly.
What I would like to find out is why this is happening and if there is a way to correct this issue without having to add hosts file entries to each windows 7 machine. (I have not tried Windows Server 2008 yet).
Update: What I have noticed is that the name will resolve using nslookup.
works fine in resolving the ip address; ping cannot resolve.
I have noticed in the past that ping and nslookup seem to resolve addresses differently, something I have not been able to discover why.