For a variety of reasons out of my control, I am building a new domain controller to replace one that is no longer in service. My platform is Server 2008 R2 with several Windows 7 member computers.
Several computers are bound to the old domain which is no longer available so I cannot promote and demote like I would normally.
I have a new domain controller built using a different name and I have unbound one machine from the old domain and rebound it to the new domain.
My questions are:
1) What will happen to the newly bound computer in terms of security? What am I risking by doing this?
2) Will I be able to get access to the files in the users’ profile so I can copy them into their new profile?
3) Are there windows services that will no longer start up because the domain has changed?
4) Is there anything I should do prior to unbinding the machines from the old domain? For example, copy files out and strip the ACLs.
5) What issues should I look out for?
Thank you in advance.