Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
What do you call the main component of a computer system?

I have a hard time talking to our techs when I want what I call the "tower" serviced (even though the stickers would indicate the box's orientation was supposed to be horizontal, but instead to save space the box is oriented vertical.

So depending on the tech, I would get terms like "base", "cpu", "desktop", "beige box (even though most HP are gray)", etc.

So what is the industry term for the box that contains all the hardware?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by squillman, Kara Marfia Jun 9 '09 at 16:00

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

duplicate:… – jj33 Jun 9 '09 at 15:34

"computer" is sufficient.

share|improve this answer
Agreed. No need to overcomplicate things. – ceejayoz Jun 9 '09 at 15:29

It varies per person. There is already a post about this here:

share|improve this answer

I tend to call it the central unit, but it is a literal translation of the french term (fench being my mother tongue).

share|improve this answer

Machine, System, Box, Server, Desktop, Laptop, POS ;-)

share|improve this answer

Cup wait, that's just the DVD drive...

I usually refer to them as desktop unit (for horizontal footprints) or tower unit (or just towers (for vertical footprints).

share|improve this answer