Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

How can I find out how much of a load my webserver is under? I tried top but I don't know how to interpret the information it's showing me for CPU. While top may give me the CPU usage I also need to find out the bandwidth (load on the NIC) to see if the server is being overwhelmed or not. I tried netstat but all I could see is what the active connections are.

I don't know much about serve maintenance, I'm a programmer and my sysadmin is on jury duty. Any hints are much appreciated.

I'm running Apache on Ubuntu server, with a few small PHP scripts. The majority of the traffic is some large binary files which are being downloaded.

share|improve this question
up vote 5 down vote accepted

For processor usage install htop:

$ sudo apt-get install htop
$ htop

For bandwidth usage install iptaf:

$ sudo apt-get install iptraf
$ iptraf

But I suggest Cacti, Munin, Zabbix.

share|improve this answer
Could you suggest which of these network statistics trackers would take the least resources? If the server is already under heavy load I don't want to put a bulky daemon on it. – Daisetsu Feb 1 '11 at 19:07
Ubuntu doesn't have iptraf in it's repsoitories. I made sure to do apt-get update also. – Daisetsu Feb 1 '11 at 19:10
If you already use Apache, Cacti/Munin take the least resources. Because, it doesn't use database. – alvosu Feb 1 '11 at 19:12
iptraf is a really nice monitor with a simple GUI, recommend for quick, temporary monitorings – Ced Sep 28 '12 at 8:30

i second htop as a replacement for top. also i like bmon for live network useage checks, IIRC its in the ubuntu repros too.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.