Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Sorry if this has been talked about before and please point me to those references. I am now running my own Ubuntu web server however I have been hitting problems with authorities and FTPing up files. Right now I have all of my web stuff under /var/www. But every time I do something there, I then have to do a chown www-data:www-data to make sure everything keeps working properly. In reality, I want to be able to FTP into my server upload what I want and just have it work without having to worry about authorities every time.

Should I have put everything under /home/user/public_html/ and home/user/public_html/ What authorities should that then have? user:www-data? user:user?

Do I need to make any changes to the Apache config?

Update: How do I setup proFTP to make sure that I can access /var/www if that is the route I continue one?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by HopelessN00b Jan 22 '15 at 15:40

This question was marked as an exact duplicate of an existing question.

up vote 0 down vote accepted

Zoredache has answered this fairly well already. You should set the UMASK appropriately. His answer is here: What's the best way of handling permissions for apache2's user www-data in /var/www ?

share|improve this answer
What if I moved the sites to /home/users? Just out of curiosity? – Mike Wills Feb 8 '11 at 23:17

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.