Sign up ×
Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sorry if this has been talked about before and please point me to those references. I am now running my own Ubuntu web server however I have been hitting problems with authorities and FTPing up files. Right now I have all of my web stuff under /var/www. But every time I do something there, I then have to do a chown www-data:www-data to make sure everything keeps working properly. In reality, I want to be able to FTP into my server upload what I want and just have it work without having to worry about authorities every time.

Should I have put everything under /home/user/public_html/ and home/user/public_html/ What authorities should that then have? user:www-data? user:user?

Do I need to make any changes to the Apache config?

Update: How do I setup proFTP to make sure that I can access /var/www if that is the route I continue one?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by HopelessN00b Jan 22 at 15:40

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

1 Answer 1

up vote 0 down vote accepted

Zoredache has answered this fairly well already. You should set the UMASK appropriately. His answer is here: What's the best way of handling permissions for apache2's user www-data in /var/www ?

share|improve this answer
What if I moved the sites to /home/users? Just out of curiosity? – Mike Wills Feb 8 '11 at 23:17

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.