Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Can you help me with my software licensing question?

I have ASP.NET web application using MSSQL express at the moment. But I want to use MSSQL 2008. But I'm NOT sure about what kind of license I should buy. I'm considering the Processor License according to this document. I'm not sure if it's the right choice.

If I buy User CAL. should I buy only 1 CAL for my web application? or for all visitors who visit my web site?

I also have a Windows desktop application that write/read data from the server. Do I need a seperate license with for this Windows application if I buy Processor License.

Thank you for suggestion.

share|improve this question

migrated from Feb 11 '11 at 6:48

This question came from our site for computer enthusiasts and power users.

marked as duplicate by Iain Feb 7 '12 at 21:03

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

For a web-app, a per-processor license is by far the least ambiguous. It allows the maximum flexibility without worry of blowing over your CAL limit.

share|improve this answer

SPLA. Go for SPLA and rent the softwar emonthly. A lot cheaper than puchasing. No CAL allowed - and, btwl, you would need one per visitor, not just one.

But then, normal licensing is not good for web apps, which is why there is SPLA (Service Provider Licensing Agreement).

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.