I don't know what to do. I read the related question on stackoverflow just like mine but those changes didn't work. I asked again on stackoverflow and they sent me here. They sent that I need to load my PHP module, but I've done that (at least to my knowledge). Here is what I posed to them:
First, I edited the httpd.conf file and uncommented
LoadModule php5_module libexec/apache2/libphp5.so .
Next after getting this error "/usr/sbin/apachectl: line 82: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Invalid argument" I changed
ULIMIT_MAX_FILES="ulimit -S -n ulimit -H -n to
ULIMIT_MAX_FILES="" or some odd thing. That resolved that error.
However I still just see my source code in Safari (actually Chrome decided to download the PHP file instead--different problem/story). Then I found a question similar to mine on stackoverflow and added some
AddHandler lines to the php5.conf file which mimicked the
AddType lines in the file after
AddHandler. Still didn't work even after a "sudo apachectl restart".
Then I finally added
AddType x-httpd-php .php to the httpd.conf file because that was also mentioned in the previous question on stackoverflow. I did it just for good measure. Nada.
I'm baffled. I'm just trying to get started so I can learn to program and I feel like I've spent a lifetime just trying to print 'Hello World' in my browser.