Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Our department recently purchased new WS-C2960S-24TS-L switches to act as our cabinet switches. However, these will be uplinked into existing WS-2960S-24TS-L that act as the aggregation switches.

What are our options for connecting these switches together? The uplinks on the cabinet switches are SFP while the ports on the aggregate switches are normal RJ-45 gig-e ports.

Thank you.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

There are copper gig SFP modules. They typically do not support auto crossover or negotiation for 100mb / 10mb links, but if you're connecting to a gig capable copper port on the other end it won't be an issue.

An example of such a beast is:

share|improve this answer
Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for. – rjk Feb 16 '11 at 16:58
+1 SPF is a standard interface that allows you to pick the media (RJ45, SPF direct, Fiber, etc). You just need a SPF Module that converts to RJ45, plug in a standard Ethernet cable and off you go. – Chris S Feb 16 '11 at 17:00

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.