So we were offered a server to be used as our production DB Server. The biggest difference is that it will contain 6 x 80GB SSD in Hardware RAID 10 using an LSI 8708 RAID Card.
Here are the specs:
- OS: Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition R2
- CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon L5620 Quad Core CPU
- Memory: 8 GB DD3 PC3-1333 MHz RAM
- HDD: 6 x 80 GB SSD in RAID 10 (Intel X-25-M)
- RAID Card: LSI 8708 w/ Battery Backup for Write Cache.
We do a lot of writing and reading in the DB.
I know SSDs are relatively new and I'm wondering if it is a good idea to use them in a prod DB Server.
Here are some questions:
- I know reading times are very fast, how about writing? Are they faster than normal HDs (in general)?
- Do we gain anything in performance by using a RAID 10 configuration with SSDs? Shouldn't just use RAID 1?
- Don't SSDs performance degrade with time? I know normal HDs do, but should I be concerned about this or is it still better than the mechanical ones.
- Should we format the drives or configure Windows in any specific way to gain any more performance?