In a situation where you are running:
- VMware Infrastructure 4.x with multiple hosts
- Over 150 VMs with a wide variety of operating systems (Linux in a half dozen distros, Solaris, every MS version, etc.) in multiple languages with almost every mix of installed software (luckily, no Exchange mail servers)
- Using an EMC fiber channel SAN
- The VWs that need need to be backed up use about 2 terabytes of data (total)
- The goal is to keep backups for about 3-months
At this rough scale, what backup solutions have worked well for you? And, as an add-on question, did any of them have de-duplication that you thought was effective and useful?