Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I am trying to configure my computer to run its own DNS server. The only thing I want to do is to forward all requests for to So, when I would use a phone, who's DNS is my computer, the requests would also be redirected.

I can't seem to figure out what exactly should the zone file contain, could anyone please help ?

I tried: 7200   IN SOA ( 
                         86400 )
                    IN NS     IN A

but does not seem to work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.


share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You are going to want to use a CNAME record to setup the alias. Once you have yoru basic headers and ruls in place, you'll need something like this:

my   IN   CNAME

(Note trailing dot is important.)

However since this dns file will be hosting the DNS for, you also need a way to resolve the my-staging address. You can do this by seting a static A record or by using an alternate name if it has one.

my-staging   IN   A


my-staging   IN   CNAME
share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.