Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Is there any device which you can plug into an Ethernet port and then have it broadcast the internet connection it receives through Ethernet wirelessly with a set password (maybe a serial number on device itself)?

The problem is, I have a Wi-fi capable device, an iPhone and I want to use the wired internet connection in a hotel room, but the iPhone needs a Wi-fi signal. How can I accomplish this with a rather simplistic device.

// EDIT:

Can this be achieved with an Apple Airport Express?

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Michael Hampton Jul 6 '13 at 18:38

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions about hardware or software used in a home setting are off-topic because they require answers that may not be practical for the business and support professionals here. You should try asking on Super User instead." – Michael Hampton
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

What you want is indeed a wireless ethernet bridge. However, almost any wireless router can be used in this fashion.

Grab the wifi router you want, should run no more than $50. Plugin power and connect to it for configuration. Change the access password, setup the wireless configuration, and disable DHCP.

Then plug your upstream into one of the LAN ethernet ports rather than the internet port. Instant wireless bridge.

share|improve this answer
The problem I have is I don't want to take an extra laptop with, and also, I don't necessarily want to configure the router when we get there. I want something that already has a passkey encoded on it, which I can just plug in, connect to wi-fi network, type in password and use the internet. – Anriëtte Myburgh Mar 14 '11 at 18:29
After the initial setup, a wireless bridge just gets plugged in and used. There's no configuration after that point. Just plug into the network, connect to the wireless and go to the world. – Richard June Mar 15 '11 at 20:21

An Apple Airport Express can do exactly what you need it todo, however it may have some problems with the way hotel internet normally works, you may have to make sure its in bridging mode, otherwise a laptop can do the same thing by sharing its ethernet connection and creating a wireless network for your iphone to connect to

share|improve this answer
Bridge mode is not really an issue the best way for little more privacy is set a NAT masquerading. Else maybe the way hotel is configured it will only allow one IP address per chamber NAT resolve this simply. – Gopoi Mar 15 '11 at 3:41

An apple's airport express can do do the job as well as any other wireless router. You'll need to configure the router in a browser type: or and follow what you need to.

share|improve this answer
Can I preconfigure the passkey at home? Will the Airport remember that passkey? I know I can connect to the Airport via the iPhone, but I really don't want to take a laptop with. – Anriëtte Myburgh Mar 14 '11 at 18:32
Yes you should think that the airport is like a computer with it's own static memory. It'll boot when you plug it in the wall and be ready with the previous passphrase set. – Gopoi Mar 15 '11 at 3:38
Thanks, that was my suspicion, but I didn't know for sure. – Anriëtte Myburgh Mar 15 '11 at 13:03
Can you then choose an answer that fits what you ask as correct? – Gopoi Mar 15 '11 at 19:24

The device you're describing is called a wireless ethernet bridge.

Unfortunately, it's not simplistic, or cheap.

share|improve this answer
Can Apple's Airport Express not accomplish this? – Anriëtte Myburgh Mar 14 '11 at 13:02
Sure they're kinda' cheap. I have a 3Com travel router made just for situations like converting a wired hotel connection into a wireless connection. It can also take wireless connections and jack into an old desktop or laptop that only has a wired NIC in it. This particular travel router is a bit old so I don't know how readily available it is, though... – Bart Silverstrim Mar 14 '11 at 14:24

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.