I have Ubuntu 10.10 x64 and x86 running on various servers and auto complete works on all of them bar one.
<tab> would show a list of options but sudo apt-
<tab> would not.
After fiddling with it for a few hours i've found that /etc/bash_autocomplete did not exist. on the broken server. Copying the one from a working one it now works. but still not properly.
sudo apt-get ins
<tab> does not show do anything.
listing the files in /etc/bash_autocomplete.d/ on the working server has about 50 files, and the broken one only two or three.
i dont think that i can just copy these files though as it might show commands for things that are not even installed.
autocomplete broken, how can i fix it. Seems like its disabled somewhere, why is this
EDIT: Ok, it was not ever installed...
$ sudo apt-get install bash-completion Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done The following NEW packages will be installed bash-completion 0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded. Need to get 140kB of archives. After this operation, 1,061kB of additional disk space will be used. Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick-updates/main bash-completion all 1:1.2-2ubuntu1.1 [140kB] Fetched 140kB in 0s (174kB/s) Selecting previously deselected package bash-completion. (Reading database ... 23808 files and directories currently installed.) Unpacking bash-completion (from .../bash-completion_1%3a1.2-2ubuntu1.1_all.deb) ... Processing triggers for man-db ... Setting up bash-completion (1:1.2-2ubuntu1.1) ...
its now kinda working, but still wonky... apt-get ins
sudo apt-get insserv as the option. also apt-get install php5
apt-get install php5/ not php5-* options.