Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've noticed a lot of open wireless access points will associate but won't forward your traffic until you attempt a web connection. This attempt is redirected to a TOU page. If I want to do something similar, what's the "best" way to set this up? I assume low-end WAPs (like the ubiquitous Linksys WRT54G) can't support this directly, so I'd set the WAP as a router (rather than gateway) and then use some kind of software on a Linux box to handle this?

share|improve this question
up vote 0 down vote accepted

Load ddWRT or OpenWRT firmware on it; they both have captive portal support (which is what you're looking for). The process isn't super easy, but there are plenty of directions on both websites.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.