Take the 2-minute tour ×
Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Possible Duplicate:
Can you help me with my software licensing question?

This question keeps getting asked however I could never get a straight answer. So I'm asking it clearer:

If I have Windows 2008 R2 Web edition and I'm using Sharepoint Foundation Server on Sql Server 2008 R2 Express edition do I need any further licenses other than what I paid for Windows Server to allow unauthenticated users to view the sharepoint website?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by RobM, Ben Pilbrow, Iain, coredump, Chopper3 Mar 26 '11 at 18:58

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

This question is not a duplicate, please reopen –  user61925 Mar 26 '11 at 21:08
Check the answers, they essentially boil down to "It depends" –  TheLQ Mar 27 '11 at 1:14
@TheLQ This is why I spelled out what envrionment and products I will be using, so there won't be any "it depends" comments. –  user61925 Mar 27 '11 at 13:28

1 Answer 1

up vote 0 down vote accepted
  • SharePoint Foundation is free if you own the Windows Web edition server license. No SharePoint server or CAL licenses are required.
  • SQL Express does not require SQL server licenses or CAL's.
  • Web Edition requires no Windows CAL's if used for Internet users.
  • SharePoint+SQL Express+Windows Web must run on a single server to qualify.

According this page. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/licensing-web-server.aspx

I would call MS licencing and ask anyway if I were you. http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/contact-us.aspx

share|improve this answer
Tried that. Even those guys don't know. –  user61925 Mar 26 '11 at 21:09