Please help me select a webserver configuration
I have a website, which has grown from 10 visits per day, to 100 per day in couple of months, and now to about 800 unique visits per day. So far, I have been using a VPS with 512MB RAM, and shared CPU (I think its between 500 Mhz to 1 Ghz).
I think some of the requests serving might be slow, because I see high bounce rate (The main traffic is when its night in my country. Also the whole server in general is free when its daytime in my country. So when I check during my day time, load time seems to be fine.).
In any case, can someone tell me a minimal dedicated server configuration (Ram and CPU and port speed) that can handle the following without slowing down any requests:
- 100K unique visits per day (its keeping in mind future).
- 500K page views per day. (5 per visit avg.)
- Each page is say 100KB (one image, few thumbnails, some misc. stuff.. usually it will be much lesser but being pessimistic in computation).
- Assume that peak load can be 5X the average load (load is never evenly distributed in 24 hours)
Right now I am unsure what will be bottleneck. I only want a general idea.
On other hand, you can even suggest how many page views per day (assuming similar 5X peak load distribution) can following server support:
- 2 GB RAM
- 2 GHz CPU
- 100 Mbps uplink port (I dont even know if this will be dedicated to me or not, but many providers mention this).
I am serving PHP pages. Most of them have no or few database lookups (say upto 5 simple queries). Apart from them, some session variable maniputation, etc. Average number of database lookups/queries would be say 2 per page, with no more than few thousand records in the tables