Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Possible Duplicate:
Can you help me with my software licensing issue?

I'm evaluating how many user licenses I need for Windows Server 2008. There will only be two users who need physical / remote desktop to the server itself, but I plan to install Symantec Endpoint on this server. Will I need more licenses for Windows based on how many machines are using Endpoint?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Iain May 7 '12 at 5:52

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

I don't think the two are related. – tjameson Apr 4 '11 at 16:36
up vote 1 down vote accepted

Each user that accesses a server requires a CAL. There are multiple ways to aquire CALS. You can learn about CALS here: Client Access Licenses

share|improve this answer
This answers my question the best, I think. If I understand corerctly, the user needs a CAL even if they're connecting to a non-Windows service? – LinuxGnut Apr 4 '11 at 17:28
correct any connection to a windows server requires a cal. That being said it's extemely likely that you already have one (as long as you bought user cals) for the rest of your environment. – Jim B Apr 4 '11 at 17:46

No, Symantec Endpoint and Windows CALs are completely separate. You need a Symantec license for every machine you will install on, not for each user.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.