I have a Windows Vista Business box at work and Windows XP Professional box at home. Both are updated to the teeth, but the problem still remains. The symptoms are:
- This happens when I connect from XP to Vista box;
- I copy a file from the Vista box to the XP box;
- This happens only when I copy the file via Windows Explorer. If I use Far Manager, even with "Use system copy routine" turned off, this does not happen;
- The file gets a few random junk bytes appended at the end. PHP files seem to get NULL bytes (zeroes); binary files just get junk.
- The larger the file, the more bytes get appended (and it doesn't seem to corresspond to any block sizes on the hard drives or anything)
For example, I just copied a MP3 file. The size on the Vista box is 66 373 042 bytes, but when copied on the XP box it is 66 387 968 bytes.
I have not been able to find anything remotely like this on Google. Any ideas?