First of all, apologies if this question is in the wrong place.
We have around 30 workstations all with the same software installed. They all run Windows XP Professional SP3 with their own license keys. Each computer is named at random - something similar to:
It's becoming increasingly often that I need to re purpose computers and move them around. I am also slowly increasing the number of workstations in the building. When I do either of these tasks I have to run through the same process on each of the machines.
- Install Windows XP Professional
- Upgrade Windows to the latest version with all hotfixes etc.
- Install Group Policy Preferences
- Install AVG Anti-Virus
- Install AniTa (Terminal Emulator) and configure
- Install Microsoft Office 2003
- Install Oracle software (for accessing encrypted documents from a vendor)
- Install Adobe PDF Reader
- Set the static IP of the workstation
- Link the workstation to the domain
Ideally, I would like to merge steps 1-7 into one step (obviously the updates will never be the most up to date) and then it's a case of customising the workstation rather than setting it up.
Every time I have come to set something like this up I have hit issues with the software slipstreaming etc.
I was wondering if anyone knew of a company or organisation that offer this kind of thing as a service. So the ideal outcome would be an installation disc with all of the above included that prompts for the computer name, windows xp serial key and possibly domain.