Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I recently upgrades 3 computers to recent HP notebooks, Windows 7 and Office 2010.

However, the company works with several (old) access databases (varying from 2 to 60Mb in size).

Opening these on old machines (XP/Vista, Office 2007) causes no problem. However, on the Win7 notebooks with Office 2010 Access basically crashes ("not responding") when opening. When leaving Access open for a while (anything between 15m to 1h3m0) will eventually open the databases, and the users are able to work in it. But as you might guess, that's just a tiny bit too slow.

CPU wise, when opening the database, 2 of the 4 cores are working. One around 80%, the other at 20%. Rest is idle. No high memory usage either.

The Access databases are on a network share, but making a local copy (on the Desktop for example) didn't change anything.

I installed all available updates.

Edit: problem happens when opening a query or table (not when double clicking/opening the file in itself).

share|improve this question
Is there anything in the windows-error-logs? Is there a startup-form that loads upon opening the DB? – Bart De Vos Apr 13 '11 at 13:11
Only thing I can see is a license check in Event Viewer. No errors at all. – Tuinslak Apr 13 '11 at 13:41
Have you tried the database on a WinXP with Office 2010? Or Windows 7 with Office 2007? I've had more problems I could associate with Windows 7 than Access 2010. – Justin Apr 13 '11 at 14:34
No, I haven't. As I'm doing most of it from a remote location (it's for a small npo) I haven't been able to do that. – Tuinslak Apr 13 '11 at 15:02
up vote 0 down vote accepted

It's caused by


The 64bit (32bit process that's running doesn't cause this issue).

It's part of HP protect tools as far as I know. Killing this process resolves the issue...

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.