Server Fault is a question and answer site for system and network administrators. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Assuming I connect on a ipv6 network in Europe and do the same later in the US, I won't keep the ipv6 I was assigned in Europe for use in the US correct?

One will be assigned a new ipv6 address at each connection or am I getting this wrong?

Is there any such think as fix/static addresses for devices in ipv6 (something like public ipv4 addresses)?

share|improve this question
up vote 1 down vote accepted

It depends on whether you receive your assignment directly from an Regional Internet Registry, or if you got it from your ISP.

ISPs very rarely allow you to transfer their address space to another provider... assuming you kept the same provider in the US and Europe, this might not be an issue if they are willing to transfer the subnet.

Since you're asking here, I assume you got it directly from an RIR... if that is the case, it now belongs to you... announce it from wherever you like.

This said, help me understand why you ask... can you use DNS to solve changing addresses of hosts?

share|improve this answer
Well, I am working on P2P systems and in ipv4, it is easy to make the difference between public and private address. But, you should always anticipate that a given peer may be assigned a different address over time. From your answer: its the same for ipv6. That's the info I was looking for. – JVerstry Apr 21 '11 at 15:48
With IPv6 the idea is that every address is routable and there are no private addresses hidden behind NAT – JamesRyan Apr 21 '11 at 16:10

This is the purpose of DNS. IPs are allocated in a routable structure, they don't move from place to place.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.